Kelly Clarkson says she didn't want to win 'American Idol' - Mixed Bag

Hot

Friday, September 8, 2017

Kelly Clarkson says she didn't want to win 'American Idol'



In 2002, Kelly Clarkson famously won the first season of the hit singing competition, American Idol. But in a new interview with Entertainment Weekly commemorating the 15th anniversary of her victory, the singer admits that she actually hoped to finish second, to Justin Guarini.

"I do remember Justin and I having a conversation before, because we found out we had to do a movie," Clarkson told EW. "He really wanted to do a movie. And I really didn't want to do a movie. I was like, 'It would be super cool if I got second and you got first, because the winner has to do the movie and the second one doesn't.'"

When news broke that ABC would take on American Idol in 2018 after its cancellation by Fox, show producers wanted fan-favorite Kelly Clarkson (who won Idol in 2002) back for the revamp.

But Clarkson was already spoken for. She'd signed on to serve as a coach on The Voice in 2018.

So why would Clarkson want to Breakaway from the show that made her famous?

The singer, who just released a new music video for her single Love So Soft, discussed the decision with Entertainment Weekly in an interview published Thursday.

"We’re used to The Voice schedule, we already have to work around it because of our family,” said Clarkson, whose manager and husband Brandon Blackstock also manages Blake Shelton, another Voice coach. "We have four children — that can be very taxing with a schedule. It was just a no-brainer for me with The Voice because of that alone."

That doesn't mean she isn't disappointed she can't do both. "But my thing is, I was kind of bummed too when [Idol] came to me," she said. "I hope it’s super successful."

Clarkson remains grateful for the start Idol gave her, and wants to give back to other aspiring musicians.

"That’s my goal," Clarkson said. "I want to have someone on my team, whether they win or not, to have a successful career after being on the show."

The three-time Grammy winner will join The Voice for its 14th season in spring 2018, making her the second Idol competitor to recently join the NBC singing competition's coaching panel. Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson, a top-10 finisher in Idol's third season, will appear on this fall's edition of The Voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment